- There will always be tough choices to make : It does get easier as you keep going at healthy living but there will always be those days when you really want to skip a workout. There will be days when you want to eat something not in your plan. The other day I had gone for a party and I was the only one sipping on water when everybody else was enjoying their dessert that was not easy but I managed, then there was a day when I missed my workout because I had to finish my work. All choices are my own, sometimes they are right and sometimes I mess up.
- Plans can get messed up : I wish I could control everything but that’s not how life works, so there are days when my plans get messed up for no fault of mine. Sometimes my plan itself is a mess because without even realising I have too many things that need to be done in a day. All this affects my workouts and my eating habits also. If I am too tired I can’t put in the same effort in my workouts. There are times when I forget about planning my snacks and I find myself either sipping on more coffee or nibbling on stuff that’s no good (this is usually more than reasonable amount of nuts)
- It’s easy to go back to old bad habits : This is one thing I am scared of, I really believe it is very easy for just one day to become one week and then one year.In no time I would be back to the square one...
So that was a list of how things can go wrong. I have personally been in all of the situations mentioned above but that does not stop me from working towards my fitness. A few things that help me:
- Tough Choices : When I have a tough choice to make I ask myself what is important, even after that if I find myself making a not so healthy choice I promise myself to make it up through my workouts or eating cleaner than usual starting asap and most importantly I keep my promise. So if I miss a workout I will either fit in an extra workout in the remaining week, if my days are already busy I increase all my workouts by a 10 - 15 minutes as long as I cover up my workout...if I eat more than I planned to I will switch up my food the next day to balance out my calories or I will work out extra. Next time you find yourself making an unhealthy choice find a way...I have always been able to find a way I am sure all of you can too.
- Messed up Plans :When plans get messed up my first instinct used to be disappointment, I would get frustrated, irritated and very upset with myself and all this naturally makes it easier to give up but now when a plan gets messed up I scrap it and make a new better plan. It’s not fair to blame myself if something unexpected comes up instead I have started to have confidence in myself to always come up with a better plan . As long as I reach my goal the plan can keep changing...
- Old Habits: I keep from going back to old habits by reminding myself what could happen if I start slacking that’s the best way for me to keep moving forward the other thing I do is I try to fit in a workout whereever I am by workouts I don’t mean I have to always follow my usual routine but I will make it a point to go for a jog or long walks or just climb stairs anything that I can do to stay active...it might not burn as many calories as my usual workout but as long as I sweat it out a little I know I am not going back to being a couch potato