Thursday 3 October 2013

Hate - Love relationship with running


I ran my first 10k charity run on 29th September that’s what got me thinking about my relationship with running...
I remember when I was a kid about 7 yrs old I wanted to be a part of the athletic team in school but I was too slow to even qualify. I was the last to finish a 100m race from that day running was not in my vocabulary, I did not even participate in games that involved running, I preferred reading, talking to friends rather than playing games
Fast forward 15 years I decided I needed to lose weight for the 100th time and thought jogging made sense, so I jumped right into it and failed miserably again, I went to the tracks and was so embarrassed because I could barely manage a few seconds before I felt like I was going to have a heart attack. So for the second time  I gave up on running
Another year passed with me trying to lose weight by exercising and walking a little. I went back to the tracks and this time I could manage around 30 seconds. For every run I made a deal with myself  to run only till the next lamp post. I started with alternating jog-walk between lamp posts and then slowly increasing my distance, that’s when I joined the gym and started using the treadmill unfortunately I completely stopped running outside
Almost an year later I went back out for a run and it was a little disappointing because I was not as good as I  was on the treadmill, I knew it takes more effort outside than on the treadmill but secretly I hoped I was lucky (***there is no luck in getting fit only hard work). By this time I was much better than my 30 seconds though I felt a little disappointed about not being able to keep up with my treadmill stats. I did not want to give up on running outside but I also knew I needed a slight push so I went and signed up for a race (actually I was in nervous about this so I mentioned it to Michelle, who announced it on face book and I had no choice :), I always knew telling her my plans would leave me with no choice )
It was during my 6 weeks of training for the race that I fell in love with running outside and now I find it boring to use the treadmill. Though I trained alone most days every run was interesting, I smile at people, sometimes strangers encourage me... I even feel like I am a part of an unspoken group (all the runners I come across) . I even went ahead and joined the running club finally I can say I am in a lifelong commitment with running
What about you? how did you fall in love with your favourite activity?
Keep Reading I will Keep Writing 
Tanvee

17 comments:

  1. Congratulations. Thats a true inspiration for many like me. I always hated tread mill and did all my walks or jogs outside and I like it. I always love outside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gopinath, I love being outside too :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Tanvee! If I could do my younger years over again, I'd approach fitness like you do at your age. You are quite a fitness/health role model. It took me until my 39th birthday before I started this present fitness journey.

    Most of my fitness commitment went through stages, like you describe. I think, first, a person has to decide to exercise no matter what negative feedback people gave in the past--just do any fitness, even if it's not that good. Just start. I started exercising--just walking the treadmill for 600 miles. Then, I moved toward being receptive to other people's advice. That means I had to quit thinking I had the best answers, which is humbling, but the only way to get much better in fitness. I had to learn a LOT of things, so I tried to learn just one new exercise per week so it wasn't so scary. Then, I started really LIKING my fitness at some point. Commitment is much easier if fitness is fun and enjoyable. I don't know exactly when my commitment grew strong during all of this, but a lot of it had to do with positive feedback and support of gym buddies who mentored me. They made ALL the difference. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marion, I must have read the first two line atleast 10 times...I love it when you compliment me..because you are one of my favourite bloggers and I really look up to you :)
      At some point in life I started believing I could do better, I only focused on improving nothing else. Because I am painfully shy it is difficult for me to talk to people in the gym...recently I have started making friends at the gym and they are so motivating and very sweet, I always find the most fit people are always ready to help and encourage..they understand the effort you need to put in and respect you for it...no matter how good you are.

      Delete
  3. I had a similar feeling about fitness when I was younger. I am only now getting to like it. So far I do not have a favorite activity other than reading, which I dont think counts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) :) I still love reading just added another love to my list - running :)

      Delete
  4. I as on a treadmill once and won't ever go back unless I absolutely have to. Nothing beats the great outdoors! Glad you found your love of running:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will use the treadmill only for high intensity intervals...nothing more, I am surprised I could manage being on the treadmill for40 minutes...now I get bored within the first 10 min to me it feels like I am not getting anywhere...

      Delete
  5. I'm so happy that you fell in love with running! And congrats on your 10K!

    It took me a while before I finally appreciated physical activity, but now it's a big part of my life, and will stay that way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy too...I used to always envy people who ran outside and were so motivated. It took me many years to even start and then I struggled with trying to be consistent finally I reached the love phase ;)

      Delete
  6. I know many people prefer the outdoors, but I am an indoor exerciser (treadmill, elliptical, stationary bike). I don't have to worry about weather, dogs, or being too far from the kidlets. I'm also super spoiled with a tv (netflix, dvds, etc.) or music. I've stopped just sitting and watching tv ... I only do it if I'm exercising. I also read on my stationary bike. My movies and books are very motivating to me, I want to spend a couple hours in my gym a day. I do actually like the exercise too ... you would think it would make me tired, but it actually energizes me. I still don't LOVE running ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to use the treadmill in the gym but once I started running outside the treadmill makes me feel stuck...like I am just not moving in front, but I do understand your point too. With kids and family, being around them is anyday more important than enjoying the scenery while jogging :) and it's a great idea to watch tv only while exercising...

      Delete
    2. It IS easier to stop though ... running outside you still have to make your way back home :)

      Delete
  7. I'd rather exercise outside than on the treadmill any day! In fact, we sold our treadmill to some friends because I never used it! I know it's all a matter of preference though and other people feel exactly the opposite :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mee too outside any day than treadmill :)

      Delete
  8. I thought I had commented on this post ... Congratulations on your 10K. You've inspired me to give running outdoors another try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!!!! Thankyou for such a wonderful comment :) we will keep each other motivated

      Delete