Monday 28 October 2013

People and their concerns

Have people ever asked you these questions?
"When will you eat, after you become old you will anyways have restrictions..eat now"
"When will you give up this craziness"
The other day I was discussing my fitness goals with a very close friend of mine, she has known me for a long time and this is what she said to me ' Tanvee for how long will you live like this? For long will you suffer? You are still not satisfied with yourself...it's taking so much time for you to get to your goal!!! for how long will you give up on things?? And she said all this because I said no to ice cream!!!!
(somehow a lot of people feel just because I choose to workout and say no to certain food I am suffering) This was my response :
" I am not suffering nor am I giving up on things, I know I am never satisfied but that is because my goals keep changing and I want them to keep changing that's how I improve. I started with a goal to just fit in certain clothes...aiming at just less 30 pounds weightloss now I have gone way past that mark, I have lost close to 70 pounds, I no longer focus on my weight as much as I focus on becoming stronger,  I have changed from being scared of running to joining a running club so I am more than happy because these things matter a lot more to me than ice-cream. I do have times when I wish I had better toned legs but now I believe in myself and I know I will get what I want if I work. I am not willing to give up on myself."
Trust me the only reason I could say all this was because I am proud of where I stand. I am proud of the effort I take and the choices I make everyday.
Even if you haven't reached your ideal weight or even if it is taking longer than what you expect, it's very important to be proud of the effort you put in and to believe in yourself.
Small things like not adding sugar or skipping dessert is an effort, going for a workout when everyone at home is stretched out on the couch is an effort worth appreciating and this effort at some point take you beyond your initial goal..
Personally I have noticed a lot people who are not on the same journey looking at me with pity, talking to me like I am missing out on life, expecting to become perfect in a few months..but I feel I am doing a lot more in life. I don't care if anyone questions my healthy eating or my exercising because this is what I want and I am happy!!!! My priorities have changed, being able to challenge myself is what I like. I might be in pain when I workout  but when I find myself doing something I had never imagined I could ever do I really really feel happy :)
If you have ever come across people who make you doubt yourself,  look at how far you have come, don't doubt yourself just because people don't understand your journey instead appreciate your hardwork no one can take that away from you :)
what  do you think?
Keep Reading I will Keep Writing 
Tanvee

18 comments:

  1. Yeah. I too come across many such instances. Its difficult to reply and I know what ever I reply they dont agree. I just smile at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes people don't understand, as long as you don't let them affect you...smiling and moving on sounds like a good plan

      Delete
  2. Hi Tanvee, The people who say this--tend to be people who never decide to go against the grain of our culture about anything, even eating a unique food. They are just reacting to their own feeling of how being different would upset their way of life. They can't imagine your perspective for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marion, that's true it is very difficult for them to understand my perspective...they are not even open to the idea of changing

      Delete
  3. totally relate to this post.
    My father out of concern did say (he was worried) that for how long will I eat tasteless food. But, once I told him that I do not feel deprived he has been proud of me.:))

    I agree we should cherish the small victories we get, as they are equally important.
    xo
    z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's great but I find a lot of people who don't believe me when I say I do not feel deprived, but I doubt most understand my way of eating...

      Delete
  4. I like what your friend said..."after you become old you will anyways have restrictions..eat now"
    Made this old guy laugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark, I was sure you would find that sentence funny, but I have heard that more than once :D

      Delete
  5. ... I don't think I've ever had anyone comment on me not eating something (either for health/weightloss reasons, or just because I'm really picky and don't like a lot of foods others eat everyday). The only judgement I've ever felt is for NON-healthy eating ... and that was not really undeserved.

    I admire those with more willpower than I!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lucky you Jen, I think people have always seen me eat junk and enjoy it so now when I have changed myself they feel bad for me...I don't get why people why to judge!!! I am also somebody who admires and really looks up to people who have the will power

      Delete
  6. I think you're an awesome inspiration! I'm the same way as in I always want new goals and something else to work towards. I admire you for giving up ice cream though. That is one thing I could never do! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie, thank you so much was such a sweet comment, I think having new goals is what keeps me going, I doubt I will give up dark chocolate, I know all about your love for ice creams :)

      Delete
  7. I have gotten a lot of comments over the years but I've learned to just ignore them for the most part!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i Diane, Hi ignore them but sometimes especially with people very close to me..I tell them exactly how I feel and why I do what I do..

      Delete
  8. My father asks me this every time he sees me. But I just roll with it. And anyone else? I comment about the poison they're putting in their bodies and that usually shuts them up pretty fast! Keep inspiring my dear:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My parents have finally stopped asking, I think either they have given up on me or they have finally started to understand my point (I feel the latter must be true because even though they don't admit it I have noticed a small changes in their eating habits) but I hate it when other people judge and actually come and tell me their point of view like they are eating perfectly and living healthy....very annoying!!!!

      Delete
  9. I feel like this post was a page out of my diary. I get comments like this though not as much as I used to. There ones who still talk like this don't see my bigger picture. I just remind them that I'm happy -- and what friend/relative would go against that?

    ReplyDelete
  10. just i want to know about what are the new goals is what keeps me going ...

    ReplyDelete