Tuesday 23 April 2013

Body Pump (Fitness class)

(This post has been hidden away in the back for months now; so important yet it just slipped through the cracks)
When I went for my body pump class I was already lifting weights at home, I knew all the exercises and I wanted to start pushing myself more in weight training so this was my second step in that direction. Body pump was a little different from all the other classes I have been to. It was for a longer duration (a little over 1 hr), we had tiny breaks in between sets and I was hurting all over by the end of it.
Body pump is a class that focuses on weight training, so be prepared to do some lifting. How much you lift is completely your choice. As usual the class had great energy. We had two instructors one did the simpler form of exercise and the other did the advanced form, if you are used to even a little bit of weight training you should be ok with the advanced.
In this class the most important thing is to decide your weights I noticed in our body pump class we did not focus on only one body part we did exercises for upper body, core and lower body so the weights you choose for each exercise would vary.
We all were asked to pick up 3 different sets, a set of light weights for warm up, the heavier one for squats and lower body exercises and one for arms, shoulders and back (you can switch it up as you like, I did use the light weights for a few of my upper body exercises).
You can differentiate a body up class just by looking at all the equipment around each person, you will be asked to use a bench, mat, barbell with separate weight attachments which you will change as the class continues. (Usually all these equipments will be made available to you)
Even though this class did not focus on cardio we did do jumping squats with weights and the pace of lifting weights did increase my heart rate, it’s definitely tougher than doing only cardio. The combination of weights and cardio was a killer for me
I personally found this class to be the most challenging of all the others classes I have been to and I enjoyed pushing through the pain and being able to finish the entire class (At one point I had planned to walk out because my arms hurt that bad but I continued). I think this is a great class especially if you want to start lifting weights in the gym. If you start with a class you can build your confidence and you have somebody around to make sure your form is right before you venture out on your own into the weight section.

Things to remember for your first Body Pump class
  1. Go early (10-15 minutes) so you can pick your spot (so you have a clear view of the instructor)
  2. Set up your equipments (bench, barbell, weights, and mat). I always make sure the weight clips are easy to pull out when I want to change my weights in between sets. I also make sure the bench is adjusted to a comfortable height. If you are new ask the instructor.
  3. Select your weights depending on your comfort level, its ok if you have the lightest weight, a few classes in you will definitely improve and lift more.Don’t start with the heaviest weight because the pace of lifting weights is much faster, it’s usually focused on high repetitions lower weights.
  4. Stretching before you start, even warm-up  before the class helps
  5. Eat something healthy before your class, you will need the energy (banana, apple). Please don’t go hungry, the more energy you have the better you will be able to work out. Eat something healthy after your workout (in our class they give us apples)
  6. If this is the first time you are doing weights, you are definitely going feel all your muscles hurt for the next few days, protein is important for you to repair those muscles.
  7. You need to give body pump at least 4 chances before you decide you don’t like it
1st class is to understand all the exercises and the different sets (it could be confusing if you have never done weights)
2nd class is to understand your ability and deciding for which muscle group can you lift more?
3rd class is to enjoy being able to keep up with the class and working through the pain
4th class just because you will enjoy lifting and feeling stronger (hopefully)
Keep Reading I will Keep Writing 
Tanvee

4 comments:

  1. Great review of the class! I love Body Pump and used to go quite regularly until I started focusing on free weights more. I like to attend once in a while to get that total body workout. It's a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tanvee! I think that it is smart of you to do some free weights before doing Body Pump. There are so many women who have the worst form in the class at our gym. That's because they didn't take the necessary time, which is quite a lot of time as you explain, to learn everything properly. Me, I prefer the heavy weights. :D

    :-)Marion

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saved as a fаvorite, I liκе уouг site!


    Visit my wеb page organic potting soil

    ReplyDelete