Wednesday 13 February 2013

Eating out and staying on track

Eating out has always been a big part of my life, all celebrations big and small...meeting friends, going out with work colleagues, celebrating birthdays/special occasions and how can I forget my weekends :) this was horrible for my weight loss plan somehow I could never fit eating out in my plan, so my weight loss plan would always go off track. How many times could I be calm about my derailed plans???
To avoid messing up my plans I decided to avoid eating out completely, again this did not work. How long could I stay away from all the fun? How long could I not be a part of things I loved? That’s when I realised eating out was more about hanging out with friends and family, having some fun while eating good food...notice how food was the last thing in my list....
So now I had to make a plan that includes all the fun and still keeps me on track...don’t worry I'm not saying I would eat unhealthy nor am I saying I will drag everybody to a place serving only salads (I wish I could...)
The best thing would be to eat as healthy as I possibly can, I usually do the following things

  1. Eat a little at home before I leave, I never reach a place hungry (I will eat an apple, maybe some carrots...) 
  2.  I start of by ordering green/herbal tea and end with green/herbal tea (if available)
  3.  I don’t eat till I'm full, I might stay a little hungry (especially if there is no healthy option), I will go back home and eat something. I ask for my meal to be split into takeaway and eat in.(Initially I would feel awkward but now I'm used to it, takes some time) 
  4.  The other very important thing is I will look at the menu online, these days you can find lot nutritional information about restaurants and their menu, so usually I have an idea of what I would be eating. 
  5.  Sometimes you might not find the information online but you can look for information on similar stuff in such cases I stick to average :) 
  6.  I avoid dessert, usually prefer frozen yoghurt or if I really want to have something I share it...
  7. Sometimes even after all this I might eat a little more than planned, then the next step is to increase my workout a little for the following week..

What do you do when you have to eat out? If you have some good tips let me know I could add them to my list...

Keep Reading I will Keep Writing 
Tanvee

10 comments:

  1. I dont actually like to socialize in public, but I used to do drive thru a couple/too many times a week.

    When I started my diet, I cut out all junk food (obviously), and I stopped visiting family. Who has better food than your mom? I finally gave in, and strangely, I started doing almost exactly the same things you have mentioned.

    I eat a little something, I do a calorie count on what she is planning to make for supper, totally do not eat dessert, and drink lots of tea! Before, during and after.

    This week I did take out, for the first time in 3 months! I ordered from the kids meal, ordered the veggie burger, ate 4 fries and gave the rest to my son.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Josee,
      How long can you stop visiting family or friends..I tried that but it just did not work for me....looks like this plan works for both of us :) take out for the first time in 3 months...wow thats great :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Tanvee! I don't eat out as often anymore. Sometimes, if we are at a restaurant I don't really enjoy, I just drink ice water while everyone else eats--because I don't have to eat to enjoy others' company. Other times, I order a small bowl of soup. If I really did want to enjoy the restaurant and plan to eat quite a bit, I budget extra calories for that by saving some calories from previous days and then not eating anything else on the restaurant day. Overall, this plan works pretty well.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Marion, the only way for me to socialize a lot of times is eating out, I agree with you about not having to eat to enjoy others' company but doesn't always work for me and I can't always pick the restaurants..so sometimes I do land in places I would prefer not to go, budgeting extra calories is always my back up plan for the just in-case days :)

      Delete
  3. Looks like a good strategy!
    I don't eat out anymore, and I've become quite picky about the restaurants that I go to. I've got 3 that I feel are 'safe', one of them I actually go to quite regularly because they are absolute saints at preparing my food the way I want it. I miss the going out/social aspect of it, but I don't miss eating restaurant food at all (ok, I also miss the not having to prep, cook, and clean part of eating out too, hahaha).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading through all my comments I'm realising I do eat out more than all of you :) and I usually don't pick the restuarant, if it is me deciding then we go to healthy places..but that is rarely the case..I don't think I will really miss eating out but it's just something all my friends do when we meet..so even if we meet for a movie it is always followed by a meal :D. I have no choice but to make the best out of the situation I'm in :)

      Delete
  4. Hi I nominated you for a Liebster award! Check out my blog post to get details. I nominated you because I think you should have more readers, given your great blog content and your own success.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you for such a sweet comment and for the nomination :)

      Delete
  5. I just don't eat the starch. Since the MSG sprayed on most non-organic produce means I can't eat salads out, if it's lunch I get a sandwich or burger without the bun. I get onion rings instead of fries, BUT only eat four of them. If it's dinner, just the meat and some steam veggies. If there is a dessert I can't resist, I get 2 bites. and not gynormous bites.

    AND, most importantly, I instruct the waiter/waitress to tell the cook/chef to not add any salt to my food. I can't guarantee they follow my directions, but I feel good knowing I've done all that I can to do the best that I can, without feeling deprived. It's GREAT to not leave a restaurant stuffed!

    It works! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwen,
      thank you for comment, If we go to a place with burgers I also have the burger without the bun(though I really really always hope we land up in a place with other options)..no onion rings for me (I love them...but no!!!) so I'm always hoping I can get some grilled meat with veggies or baked fish with veggies...
      Yes and it is good not to leave the restuarant stuffed

      Delete