Eating out has always been a big part of my life, all celebrations big and small...meeting friends, going out with work colleagues, celebrating birthdays/special occasions and how can I forget my weekends :) this was horrible for my weight loss plan somehow I could never fit eating out in my plan, so my weight loss plan would always go off track. How many times could I be calm about my derailed plans???
To avoid messing up my plans I decided to avoid eating out completely, again this did not work. How long could I stay away from all the fun? How long could I not be a part of things I loved? That’s when I realised eating out was more about hanging out with friends and family, having some fun while eating good food...notice how food was the last thing in my list....
So now I had to make a plan that includes all the fun and still keeps me on track...don’t worry I'm not saying I would eat unhealthy nor am I saying I will drag everybody to a place serving only salads (I wish I could...)
The best thing would be to eat as healthy as I possibly can, I usually do the following things
- Eat a little at home before I leave, I never reach a place hungry (I will eat an apple, maybe some carrots...)
- I start of by ordering green/herbal tea and end with green/herbal tea (if available)
- I don’t eat till I'm full, I might stay a little hungry (especially if there is no healthy option), I will go back home and eat something. I ask for my meal to be split into takeaway and eat in.(Initially I would feel awkward but now I'm used to it, takes some time)
- The other very important thing is I will look at the menu online, these days you can find lot nutritional information about restaurants and their menu, so usually I have an idea of what I would be eating.
- Sometimes you might not find the information online but you can look for information on similar stuff in such cases I stick to average :)
- I avoid dessert, usually prefer frozen yoghurt or if I really want to have something I share it...
- Sometimes even after all this I might eat a little more than planned, then the next step is to increase my workout a little for the following week..
What do you do when you have to eat out? If you have some good tips let me know I could add them to my list...
Keep Reading I will Keep WritingTanvee