Monday 18 February 2013

Play the game...take control of the scales

These days I use the scale only to make sure I’m in my maintaining mode, but when I first started of my weight loss the scales were more like a frienemy (friend and enemy). There were days when I got along very well with the scales, the weight dropped like I expected it to and then there were days when I would feel like throwing the scale away because either the scale would not budge or maybe it would move in the wrong direction.
I could have stopped using the scales but they were my only constant companion during my weight loss and weight maintenance journey, even when I wanted to be left alone the scales were there...when I cheated on my plan the scales pointed it out and when I worked hard the scales congratulated me :)
So why frienemy you ask...just because sometimes even when I stuck to my plan, ate healthy and worked out as required the scales would not budge....that’s when I hated them, they would really discourage me, if all your hard work is not noticed...why work at all??
The first few times this happened to me it was in the beginning of my weight loss journey..I would get really disappointed and frustrated. I thought I was unlucky, I thought I was not good enough and finally I thought after doing everything right the scales didn’t change...maybe if I do everything wrong the scales still won’t change. So once I went back to my unhealthy habits just for a weekend and as you would expect the scales mocked me...(Tanvee you really don’t want to lose weight...you can’t lose weight...you are not strong enough..I’m going to move in the direction you don’t like)
That’s when I decided I had to take control  and decide how this situation can be used as a motivation...from then every time the scales plan not to move...I don’t get discouraged instead I challenge the scales...I say 'I will put in more than my 100%, how long can you stay without moving: D '
There could be other reasons why your weight is not changing as expected, maybe you need a break, maybe it’s a plateau, there could be many reasons (I’m going to cover this soon) but I feel this should not be a reason to get discouraged or frustrated..take it up as a challenge...it’s like somebody telling you ‘you can’t make it to your goal, fight for it...fight with all you have, instead of giving up’

Next time the scales decide to play this game with you...be prepared to strike back with more determination don’t get discouraged instead get motivated to prove yourself and win !!!
Let me know if this helps....

Keep Reading I will Keep Writing 
Tanvee

8 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I think the change in attitude toward the scale, especially shifting from a victim mentality to one of someone who is in control, is so important. Just coz' the numbers don't always meet our expectations doesn't mean we should stop giving 100%.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feeling helpless or powerless is hopeless...never gets me anywhere...for everything in life it is important to not have the victim mentality, got to go and get what we want :)

      Delete
  2. You are so awesome! I can't believe we didn't connect in the blogging world earlier! Yes, Take control!

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Marion, that is so sweet of you :) better late than never...I just entered the weight loss blogging world 2-3 months back and I'm happy I found your blog and happier you like mine ;)

      Delete
  3. Taking control is what it's all about. And even when the scale seems like more enemy, than friend, it's not. It's sending us a message. We just need to figure out what the message is. It might mean the body is adjusting. It might mean we had hidden salt. It might mean it's hormonal. It might mean the body is getting used to the current calories and exercise level and it needs a jolt. But the scale is talking to us; even when we don't like what it's saying. (kinda like a mom. LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My scale is a weapon of mass destruction! Just kidding. I use it as a tool, not a mood decider. I weigh myself everyday, and I record the result. I keep a daily record on my blog, and I also include: if I am on my period or if I felt bloaty. I have been doing this for 3 months religiously and it has changed my life! Ha ha not really, but it has helped me see trends in my weight. I can gain close to 5 lbs a couple of days before my period. I only noticed that after I started keeping a record.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's good your scale doesn't decide your mood and recording weight definitely helps, it helps to maitain and it also helps to understand our body. A few months of regular weighing we can tell how our body will react in different situations..

      Delete