Tuesday 19 February 2013

Rest Days

For years I ran away from exercising so when I started exercising properly (only cardio initially and then slowly I added weights) I always wanted to be able to make it a habit something that was not forced on me but something I did happily...I did my research on how to make something a habit...most places say if you can make yourself do something for 21 days in a row it will become a habit...so happily I made an exercise plan for 21 consecutive days...hoping everything will go as planned.
Little did I realise that my plan was flawed from the beginning, even though I had good intentions I did not really think my plan through, making an exercise plan is not only about making time for your daily exercise but it is more about taking care of your body and listening to your body..
I was overweight, I was not used to walking more than a block (even that was only in emergency) or climbing stairs (I always used the elevator), I was not used to doing the simple everyday activities in life and my new workout plan was to do an hour of cardio everyday (walk/jog....more walk )and few exercises at home...I started with a lot of determination, day 1 went well...I was tired and hurting but I did it...I did what I planned...day 2, day 3 were OK too...but day 4 I noticed my legs hurt a little more than usual but I had to stick to my 21 day plan so I pushed day 6 I was actually getting cramps in my calf muscles..I still continued...I think by day 10 everything had gone downhill...I was in pain...even though I did my planned workout I knew I was not putting in the same effort and in the entire process I actually injured myself...so in short I was out in 12-14 days I did not reach my 21 day goal and I was very disappointed...
That’s when I realised the importance of rest days...I always thought 'rest day' was for somebody who did a lot of muscle training or weight training but I think it is very important to give your body a break..even if you are only starting of with cardio, if your body is not used to it...it will need to rest and recover...
I personally workout 6 days a week and the 1 day that I take break doesn't mean I'm not moving at all...I do other things..maybe go for a stroll...just something that doesn’t strain my body as much...
Even on my 6 workout days I don’t strain the same muscles on consecutive days...I even switch my cardio exercises I switch between jogging, climbing stairs, spinning and zumba...so I get my cardio done but I think my body feels less strained as compared to if I was repeating the same thing for the entire week plus it’s more fun..for weights I concentrate of different muscle groups..
I know when you first start you feel like you want to give it your all but always think long term...imagine giving your all for 7 days and then giving only 20- 30% because your body was just not ready. I think I not only landed up injuring yourself but also unknowingly spoiled my own weight loss plan...out of the 14 days that I worked I could not give my 100%  always so the weight loss would naturally not be as expected...
When you make a workout plan...always include rest days...don’t think of rest day as going off track but think of them as an important part helping you maintain your plan’
How do you decide your rest day? What do you do on your rest day?
Keep Reading I will Keep Writing 
Tanvee

10 comments:

  1. Stretch stretch ALWAYS stretch!

    Glad you found a plan that works for you. My rest day is dependent upon the schedule. On rest days, I generally do nothing. That's why it's a rest day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gwen, I did stretch but I guess my legs were just too tired and needed a break, these days I can't seem to sit in one place so even on my rest days I'm doing some activity..usually it's long walks..

      Delete
  2. Hi Tanvee! Great post with an important message. I work out 3 days per week, that's all. The other 4 days I get other important stuff done. And, as you'd guess, I do very well fitness-wise with that schedule.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) thanks Marion, your plan surely works very well for you...I usually take 1 day off in a week, this totally depends on my work schedule..

      Delete
  3. I decide my rest days usually on when I can't make it out and about to do something. Or If I have been to the gym a few days in a row. Like today I did nothing, but I have been to the gym 3 days in a row. Really though, if the sidewalks had been clear I would have run here at home instead of shoveling the driveway. When I really plan a rest day I go get a massage or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My rest days depend on my work...usually 1 day per week..though on my rest days also I go out for walks..or do some activity..

      Delete
  4. Once in a while I'll take a day and do absolutely NOTHING, but usually my rest days involve some deep stretching/yoga, going for a walk, or more recently, doing 100 burpees - 10 minutes and I'm done!
    It is important to allow your body to recover, and I think your strategy of doing different exercises on different days and focusing on different parts of the body is good. I used to stick to a rigid exercise routine, but like you, I discovered I wasn't able to complete it. So now I've got my basic list of things I'd like to complete this month and I try to accomplish them as my body allows. This plan works much better for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that too, every 2-3 months I take 2-3 days off...though I still get out for a walk, I like your idea of deciding what you want to complete in a month, I set monthly goals too..and decide different classes and workout plans every month..I plan plan and do some more planning :)

      Delete
  5. Rest days can be very important. As far as exercise goes, I take one of the weekend days off. It switches depending on my schedule, but I usually take Saturdays off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never realised the importance of rest days initially...but now I know the importance of recovering...surprisingly I have developed this habit of working out first thing in the morning on weekends..so I workout more on my weekends :) my rest day is usually a weekday when I have more work load

      Delete